Navigating the Attendance Management Minefield in the COVID era
Date: Sep 04, 2020
On September 4, 2020, Ryan and Jeremy discussed the legal tightrope in terms of employee attendance management, that employers must walk in this pandemic. The issues of elder care and constantly shifting school schedules has exacerbated the challenge that employers face.
The Webinar covered:
– The rights of employees to “work at home” due to child care needs created by students learning at home. Does it matter if a parent chooses not to send a student back to school?
– Does an employee have a blanket right to refuse to return to work due to living with a potentially vulnerable person?
– What happens if the job can’t be performed from home?
– Preventing reprisal claims: How to handle performance issues with an employee who is raising concerns about human rights issues
– What happens if an employer breaches the Human Rights Code? Can an employer be ordered to allow an employee to work at home?
Subject Area: Attendance Management, Human Rights, Employment Law, Occupational Health and Safety, Employment Standards