The World Health Organization has declared COVID-19 a global pandemic. Not since H1N1 and SARS before that, have employers faced such a fundamental challenge. It is not too late to put plans and policies in place to manage the impact on your organization.
This session will discuss:
- How employment standards, health and safety, human rights and other regulatory requirements apply to a pandemic;
- Strategies for managing attendance and remote work;
- “Essential services” and work refusals under occupational health and safety legislation;
- WSIB’s recently released guideance on COVID-19;
- Managing the risk of constructive dismissal when implementing alterations to schedules and compensation, as well as implementing temporary layoffs;
- How to use Work Share and Supplementary Unemployment Benefit Plans to support employees and avoid claims of constructive dismissal; and
- Practical guidance for creating a pandemic response plan, amending policies as necessary, and communicating effectively with employees.